Pecan; why its health benefits? Calorie content and composition of pecans. What benefits can the body bring with the components of an exotic nut? Who better not to eat them? Culinary produce: how it is consumed and processed. And these are not all the valuable properties of pecans. American scientists call their nut a superfood, which can, to some extent, have a positive effect on all systems of the human body, saturated with valuable components and triggering defense mechanisms during treatment and recovery. Therefore, it is often used to prepare meals in high schools.
Contraindications and harm pecan
However, there are also such categories of individuals who need to take care to eat this nut.
Contraindications to the introduction of pecans into the diet:
- Gastrointestinal … This product contains three-quarters fat, making it uncomfortable for people with gastrointestinal problems. It can especially cause nausea in those who suffer from cholestasis.
- Tendency to bloating and diarrhea … High-fat content can also be harmful here. If you regularly suffer from intestinal disturbances, it is better to avoid eating nuts. Flatulence and diarrhea are almost guaranteed.
- Excess weight … Despite the high-calorie content of pecans, they stimulate the appetite very strongly. Therefore, it is not recommended for overweight people to eat it, as it makes you eat more than you need.
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding… It is an absolute contraindication for almost all non-historical genetic products for us. Every foreign nut can cause exacerbation of chronic diseases and individual intolerance. Even if you consume pecans before pregnancy and breastfeeding, changes in hormone levels can affect their absorption. Therefore, it is more sensible to stop using it entirely during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Individual intolerance… Nuts are relatively strong allergens. Therefore, if you have a food allergy, we recommend starting the test only if there are no unwanted reactions to eating them.
- Childhood … As you know, the digestive system is not fully developed in children. A small person’s body may not have enzymes to process the components of the product.
How to eat pecan
Since the fruits ripen in October, picking them within three to four months after harvest is better. Due to the high-fat content, pecans acquire a complex taste during long-term storage. They lose flavor and quality, becoming less helpful and sometimes even harmful to the body.
If you buy shelled nuts, shake them. Fresh fruits react with a barely audible sound. Old ones crack loudly. It is due to their reduction in size as they dry, allowing them to beat against the shell.
There are often problems with the division of nuts, as the fruit is deformed when opened. To make the shell easier to yield, pour cold water over the product and bring it to a boil. Allow cooling with the lid closed. Dried and pricked with a pair of peanuts.
If you want to preserve the flavor of the pecans without sacrificing utility, store the fruit (both peeled and in the shell) in a dark, dry, cool place. The fridge is ideal for vegetables.
The question remains, how are pecans eaten? And as your heart desires! They can be eaten raw or fried. Some people like nuts, salt, and spices, while some prefer glaze with icing sugar or chocolate.
Many people like to serve it with soft cheeses – Camembert, Brie, Roquefort, with honey and grapes in white wine. And someone only looks at pecans as a complement to dessert or baked goods. In short, this is a beautiful product, suitable for various settings, and meets the needs of even the most intelligent taste buds of cuisine.
Pecan food and drink recipes
Because pecans are very similar to walnuts, they are often mistaken for them. However, as the chefs note, these products have different tastes in dishes. Therefore they are not alternatives to each other.
How to cook pecans is best known in New Orleans – this American city is considered their home country. And the most popular dish served in the world’s jazz capital is American Pecan Pie … It is believed that one can only achieve this taste with this nut and nothing else.
There are many options for making a cake, but this recipe is considered a classic—Mix 175 g flour with 125 g soft butter and a pinch of salt. Add three tablespoons of ice water to the dough, and grind carefully. If it does not stick, add water again.
Divide the dough into 4 parts. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Roll the cooled dough into a cake, and put it in a form with 2-3 cm sides. Put in the freezer with the baking tin for 15 minutes.
Melt 225 g of butter, add 225 g of icing sugar, stir until completely dissolved in butter, remove from the stove, and pour in 150 g of molasses, 2 teaspoons of vanilla drops, 3 tablespoons of rum, and a pinch of salt. Then it would help if you let the future filling cool.
Remove the dough from the freezer, add topping – two cups of beans, and bake in an oven heated to 190 ° C for 10-12 minutes. Cool, remove the strain.
Beat 3 eggs until foamy and carefully add this mixture to the filling. Add 2.5 cups chopped pecans, mix well, and pour into the baked base. Return to the oven for another 50 minutes. Then it would help if you took it out and let it cool completely. Garnish with whole pecans and serve with ice cream and whipped cream.
The widespread distribution of pecans to all continents has made pecans a popular ingredient in other equally delicious dishes:
- Salad with nuts and capers … For those who want good salads with a fresh look, it will appeal to the taste buds. The combination of yogurt and mustard in the sauce will appeal to lovers of mayonnaise dressing, as it is a valuable alternative to the most popular clothing in our country—Boil large chicken fillets in salted water. Cool, cut into medium cubes. Mix 50 ml of yogurt with 2 tablespoons of Dijon mustard, a pinch of salt, sugar, and 1 tablespoon of capers. Take 200 g of grapes of different varieties: the more flowers, the more beautiful the salad. Cut the grapes in half, add them to the chicken, and season with the sauce, stirring gently so as not to crush them. Sprinkle with 50 g of crushed pecans.
- Pork chops … The meat prepared according to this recipe is very aromatic and tasty – with a bit of sweetness and softness inherent in pork. The pecan flavor will add a special meaning to flipping the meat. Take two pork, rinse them, wipe with a towel, and whisk lightly. Combine tablespoons of flour, a pinch of salt, and black pepper. Dip the chops into this mixture. Melt 20 g of butter in a pan, and fry the chops on both sides until the meat juices are transparent. Remove the meat from the pan while it is still hot, and add 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans to the pan. Fry for one minute, pour the chops over this sauce and serve immediately.
- Mushroom slices … This dish is especially popular with vegetarians. The nut will subtly ignite the mushrooms’ aroma and improve the taste. Grind 600 g of washed mushrooms in a food processor, meat grinder, or mixer. Send 200 g of parsley there. Spread 2 finely chopped onions and 1 coarsely grated carrot over high heat. Transfer the vegetables to the mushrooms, add 2 tablespoons of flour, a pinch of salt, a pinch of black pepper, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of sour cream, and 50 g of finely chopped pecans. Stir, and let it brew for an hour. Shape chops from the mass, dip in breadcrumbs and fry over high heat for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Pecan praline … The classic praline is made from almonds, but many people think pecans are more suitable for this sweet, making it less clumsy. To prepare it, mix 200 g of condensed milk with 200 g of icing sugar, 30 g of cocoa, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, and cook until the sugar dissolves. Add 200 g of pecans, ground into flour, to the sugar mass, and cook until the liquid evaporates and the mixture becomes soft. Cut the praline and place it on the parchment, cool and serve.
As it turned out, you can find pecans not only in dishes but also in drinks:
- Spiced puree … Cut 250 g of dates in half and remove the seeds. Peel the oranges cut them into wedges, and put them on the oranges. Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon, 4 tablespoons of honey, 1 liter of freshly squeezed orange juice, and 150 g of pecans, ground in a blender. Add a few cinnamon sticks and a few rosettes of cloves. Bring to a boil, bring to a boil, turn off, let brew for an hour at room temperature, and overnight in the refrigerator. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Coffee noir … This is an American recipe, so the drink needs a lot of water. Pour 200 ml of water into the turkey, add 1 tablespoon of freshly ground coffee, and 1 teaspoon of each chicory and grated pecans. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil twice, brew for a few minutes, and serve without sugar.
Even by researching a variety of dishes with pecans, it can be noted that it is most often found in conjunction with desserts and pastries. However, there are many recipes with it for meat dishes, salads, and snacks. The use of walnuts is considered a sign of the sophistication of the table and makes the menu original and tasty.
Interesting Pecan Facts
As we have already mentioned, America is his home country, New Orleans. Here, the French colonists began to bake a cake with nuts that the locals offered them. The public liked the dish so much that it became national and associated with this city.
Heavy cultivation of pecans began in the 1880s. After a few decades, New Orleans became the most famous capital of jazz, mafia, and gangsters. The nut has even been called the “gangster nut,” as the cultivation method has repeatedly become the cause of clashes between mobsters.
Locals loved not only dishes with it but also coffee, nutty liqueurs, and other strong alcoholic beverages. These traditions are honored in New Orleans today.
As you can see pecan, this nut has a history. However, no legend could have made it popular if it wasn’t tasty and healthy. Treat yourself to the product; do not forget the sense of proportion. And even if it seems to you that at the same time, you start whistling the jazz tunes of Louis Armstrong or Nina Simone, stop in time, as pecans can harm.